Please note: if an earlier link doesn't work, it may have changed following an update! Check the Category Labels in the side-bar on the right! There you can find animator drafts for sixteen complete Disney features and eighty-six shorts,
as well as Action Analysis Classes and many other vintage animation documents!

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Prod. 2003 - Seq. 8.5 - Call Dat Beetle!

Sequence direction by Ham Luske and layout Hugh Hennesy. This is one of motion picture history's "strong moments," with Fred Moore's Lampwick turning into a donkey (by Eric Larson) before our eyes - or nearly so, at least, as it is staged so we only see parts of him transform. Pinoke by Ollie Johnston, Milt Neil and Milt Kahl is terrified. Don Towsley's Jiminy gets him out in a hurry...
919293

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Boris Hiestand says...

an amazing sequence in every way. Story, animation and cinematography at its very best. Still gives me shivers. Execs these days would probably deem it "too scary for kids" and opt for sparkles and gags to do this.

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 at 4:03:00 AM PST  
Anonymous FantasiaMan says...

This is a pretty scary scene, even by today's standards. It scared a lot outta me when I was little, but I still love it.

The facial expressions & body language of both Lampwick & Pinocchio are probably the best to ever come out of the studio. You could never get that amount of passion & force from any CG film. This scene proves that animators are indeed superb actors.

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 at 2:25:00 PM PST  
Anonymous the spectre says...

Funny enough, Pinocchio was one of the first animated films I ever saw as a very young kid and I don't recall ever being all that scared by it. Then a few years later I really wanted to see it again and got it for a Christmas present. By now (I can't remember my exact age) the idea of being turned, screaming, into a beast of burden and packed into a tight crate, or starving to death inside a whale, was able to have a little more impact. I had been to young to really understand enough to be scared in the past, which I think is interesting.

Thursday, March 8, 2007 at 2:20:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home