Please note: if an earlier link doesn't work, it may have changed following an update! Check the Category Labels in the side-bar on the right! There you can find animator drafts for sixteen complete Disney features and eighty-six shorts,
as well as Action Analysis Classes and many other vintage animation documents!

Friday, May 23, 2008

Out to Lunch (I)   -- Restaurant with Waitress Service

Once in a while a menu turns up on eBay from the Walt Disney Studio Restaurant - I bet most of you have seen it.
But what did the restaurant - "The Commissary" look like, back in the 40's? Well, part of it looked like this at 12:22 pm...
Waitress Service... Waitress Service... Waitress Service...< Click on it!
I don't have my menu close right now, but I actually found one just now for sale, so I added its pictures to give this post some color.

Clearly visible in this picture is John Lounsbery (right under the right "pipe"). I think that the top of then-lay-outer and later Imagineer Herb Ryman is seen in the left-front of the front counter, and
I believe a gentleman in the back center staring straight at us is background painter (and also future Imagineer) Claude Coats. In the very back, left of center possibly Milt Kahl, looking screen left... Others?

Labels:

12 Comments:

Anonymous George Taylor says...

Wow...

Great find!

It is almost like "Where's Waldo" but with famous Disney artists and Imagineers.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 11:50:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous TJ says...

That appears to be Frank Thomas at the front/left table more-or-less facing the camera.

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 7:55:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Hans Perk says...

tj - to me, the gentleman in the very dark sweater in the center of the very right edge could be Frank.

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 9:51:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Tony says...

It's more like "Find Freddie"!

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 1:06:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Floyd Norman says...

It's hard to believe, but at one time, the Disney studio commissary was filled with artists.

You'd be hard pressed to find even one today.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 12:44:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous yensid says...

I believe the 7th fellow in the third row from the right with the moustache looking right at the camera might be Vladimir (Bill) Tytla.

This is very cool.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 9:26:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

Now, come on, Floyd. You know that's not true.
I was just there and there were easily at least a hundred artists chowing down.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 12:24:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Hans Perk says...

It would be nice if folks posting comments anonymously at least told us who they are. This Anonymous posted from the IP registered as Walt Disney Feature Animation (thank you, free SiteMeter), so he'd have to say this, I guess ;-)

I do believe there are great artists currently at work for Walt Disney Feature Animation. I just don't know if they care to cross Riverside to eat at the commissary, with a view of the Animation Building where they should have been located...

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 12:49:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Jenny Lerew says...

Hi Hans--That was me, just above, posting anonymously. I wasn't logged in, sorry.

As a matter of fact I'd just returned from eating there myself, and yes, in my experience while obviously there are many hundreds of people on the lot not working in animation I'd say quite a large number of the (rough estimate here)700 that do cross the bridge regularly to eat at the old commissary. So yes, they care. ; )

I was just chiding Floyd in fun-nothing serious I hope.
You read me regularly and know my blog; while I don't tend to write 'negative' things I don't have to say anything, either. ; )
btw-I bought the menu you posted-it just arrived, and I'm going to try for good scans of the inside of it-it's keen! Thanks to you for pointing it out. I've bid on it before and never won.

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 10:52:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Hans Perk says...

Hi Jenny, thanks for de-anonymizing yourself! No offense taken or meant, of course. Today I had a nice chat with Floyd at the Pasadena book fair. It was nice finally to meet after so many comments etc.

Yes, we must "do lunch" some day, but it will have to wait 'till I return - I will be on a plane back to Denmark tomorrow Sunday!

Sunday, June 1, 2008 at 3:52:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Jenny Lerew says...

Oh, darn! I wanted to go to the paper/book Fair today--I live in Pasadena and just totally forgot about it. I hope it was fruitful hunting for you and Floyd too. : )

Please do call me up when next you are in town.

-Jenny

Sunday, June 1, 2008 at 4:47:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous spokeshave says...

Is that Walt at the table bottom right hand corner? With his back to us wearing a neck-a-chief as Walt use to back then? Although in MB's photo he's turned slightly and looks less like Walt....

Sunday, October 25, 2009 at 6:39:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home