Please note: if an earlier link doesn't work, it may have changed following an update! Check the Category Labels in the side-bar on the right! There you can find animator drafts for sixteen complete Disney features and eighty-six shorts,
as well as Action Analysis Classes and many other vintage animation documents!

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Amazing Auction Coming Up!

Saturday, May 14th, 2011, at 10 am PDT, the Saban Theater in Beverly Hills. Mark that date, time and place: it is when one of the most significant animation auctions of these times will be held by Profiles in History!
PinHAuct44
Well, maybe not the greatest catalog cover, but still...

Mike van Eaton, everybody's favorite gallery owner and "the least offensive of all animation art sellers," whom through my dealings with him I would even dare call a friend, made me aware of this about a week ago, but I have been so very busy I have not had a second to properly look into this, only noting that some AMAZING things are going to change hands, like Walt Disney's 1924 letter luring Ub Iwerks from Kansas City to Hollywood or the 1930 document that released Ub as partner of Walt and Roy. Truly iconic material! It is my plan to show a few of MY favorite things here in the next days, well, basically so you know what to get me for Christmas.

Why, yes - I AM busy, thank you for noticing! I am currently directing a stop-motion feature movie called Miffy the Movie about a cute bunny girl originally drawn in Dutch graphic artist Dick Bruna's appealingly simple style, predating a certain Japanese kitty by some 20 years - and her friends. We are still in the start-up phase, so, yes, I'm busy, busy, busy! That's why I have not posted anything for nearly two months: not that I do not want to! Anyway, back to the auction...

The catalog is online, but I would like to highlight a few things, as I said, and I notice I have some of these items in a little higher resolution, as well, so here is a sample.
MickeysMechMan
This is an original pencil model sheet for the 1933 Mickey Mouse short Mickey's Mechanical Man of which I have posted the draft nearly five years ago. I remember seeing this at Comic-Con in Mike's booth and wishing to myself that I at least could have a good scan of it to study and to post here! (#454)
MickeysServStatBG
Backgrounds to animated films are obviously much rarer than cels. Here is one from the 1935 Mickey's Service Station, the penultimate black-and-white Mickey short. (#482)

By the way, to indicate how very little time I have had to even browse the internet these days, I have NO idea if any of my fellow animation-history bloggers have recounted lots of these things already. I suspect they would have jumped on it many days ago, and honestly - that would only be GREAT, as I hope the auction will be a great success. Just don't bid on anything I might bid on!

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous A Snow White Sanctum says...

Sounds like it's going to be a fantastic auction. Wish I could attend.

Saturday, April 16, 2011 at 7:09:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Steven Hartley says...

That's alright Hans - if you certainly are busy. I heard about that you are directing the film on the Internet Movie Database and I assumed that it would be a busy period. Take your time on the blogging and hopefully you'll be back to posting soon!

I've been fine - on my computer I've been creating a "draft estimate" for features and estimating on who animated what and hopefully comparing it when they get posted!

By the way, that Auction thing looks interesting - although I live all the way in Britain, and I won't be able to reach there.

Saturday, April 16, 2011 at 7:36:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Hans Perk says...

Since you can bid through the internet, you only need to win a lottery and you're set!
(One to two millions for the hero Chitty Chitty Bang Bang car? Better be a larger lottery, then...)

Saturday, April 16, 2011 at 7:40:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Steven Hartley says...

Is this to buy a draft? Well, I'm underage to buy a lottery ticket. And I don't think I could get a draft at any-time. I'll just wait for future posts.

Saturday, April 16, 2011 at 7:42:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Hans Perk says...

Ha! No - I have more drafts coming... No, I was referring to the auction!

Saturday, April 16, 2011 at 7:47:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Steven Hartley says...

Oops! I wasn't sure what you exactly meant, if it was draft or the auction. But ok. I'll check that out - if I have the money.

Saturday, April 16, 2011 at 7:50:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous David says...

I particulalry like the Kay Nielsen and Gustaf Tenggren art, plus I love the older maquettes. Just some gorgeous stuff!

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 at 6:39:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Hans Perk says...

David, I intend to show a few of those in a little better resolution, as well...

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 at 9:01:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home