Please note: if an earlier link doesn't work, it may have changed following an update! Check the Category Labels in the side-bar on the right! There you can find animator drafts for sixteen complete Disney features and eighty-six shorts,
as well as Action Analysis Classes and many other vintage animation documents!

Monday, October 23, 2006

Timing and bar-sheets revisited...

Following Dave Hand's theory, I think it is time for some practical application of his abilities. Now, the 1936 Mickey Mouse short "Mirrorland" (M41) was called "Through the Looking Glass" on the draft, and was released as "Thru The Mirror", Production UM41.

Here is a bar-sheet that was prepared for the planning of the sound effects. It is for all intents and purposes a true bar-sheet, with beat indications, so it is easily followed, especially since music is such a great part of it. Take out your Disney Treasures DVD: Mickey Mouse in Living Color Vol.1 Disc 1, and tap your way through it, and study how Dave Hand timed this classic Mickey film, beat for beat.

To keep the small green letters readable, I decided to retain the size of my original photos. Each is around 200 KB. I also stuffed all 13 into one 2.5 MB ZIP file, that you can get by clicking the .zip image.
Front Page1234 5678
9101112 Get all files in one .zip file...< Get the .zip file!
Here is a bit of an explanation... Explanation of Page 3...< Click on it!
Say, folks, not many of you are commenting. Is anyone but the usual three die-hards even reading this stuff?

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous hans bacher says...

this is pure gold...

Monday, October 23, 2006 at 2:59:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Mark Mayerson says...

As I'm not a musician, I'd love it if somebody would take a page of this and explain everything written on it.

In any case, Hans, I'm extremely grateful for what you're putting up. You don't know it, but you'll be getting an acknowledgment in the Masters thesis I'm working on. The animation drafts you've printed and the studio transcriptions have all been extremely valuable. Everybody owes you a debt for sharing it.

Monday, October 23, 2006 at 7:15:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Hans Perk says...

Mark, I'm glad there is an interest in this material, as I myself have been looking for it for so long. Only through the coming of the internet has it been possible to find it. How else could I, here in Denmark, be able to find that one guy in Florida who had the shorts drafts and the lectures, or the guy in San Diego who had all the feature drafts? Impossible! But now, the possibilities of research are opened, and I am happy to contribute - albeit with a certain amount of vanity, too, which I think is only human - but in the spirit of "if I share more, others will do so, too", and I think it works...

And now I will try to explain what is on the pages in a new posting.

Monday, October 23, 2006 at 7:32:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Hans Perk says...

I didn't make a new posting, but I added a page with a bit of an explanation on the bottom of the existing posting. Hope it helps!

Monday, October 23, 2006 at 8:45:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Tinker Bell says...

I'm reading, and loving your blog as I always do. Thank you for posting all that you do. I find it all so interesting to read!

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 at 2:56:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous cartooncolin says...

This stuff is like findiong the Holy Grail - love reading and studying this stuff..........Thanks so much for posting it!

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 at 6:02:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Kevin Langley says...

Thanks for sharing these Hans! There's so much to learn from each page, and your notations really help make sense of all the info.

Also, thanks for pointing me to the "Mickey's Birthday Party" drafts you posted. I can't believe I missed them.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 at 8:07:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Cheever says...

great post

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 at 1:57:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Brett W. Thompson says...

Amazing!! Thanks for all this great stuff to study :D

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 at 10:00:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous page thomas says...

I am reading this and loving a glance at the detailed world that comesto life as animation. Its somewaht a lost art and i am etranally grateful for your genrous sharing of priceless artifacts and history.

Sunday, April 22, 2007 at 4:38:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Echo Voice says...

I would like to know if, talking about these music routes of Thru The Mirror, the musical sequence where Mickey dances over the hat has a name... is it a song, or just a sequence created by the drawers to fit in the short?
Thanks from now on.

Sunday, July 22, 2007 at 5:33:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home