Please note: if an earlier link doesn't work, it may have changed following an update! Check the Category Labels in the side-bar on the right! There you can find animator drafts for sixteen complete Disney features and eighty-six shorts,
as well as Action Analysis Classes and many other vintage animation documents!

Sunday, May 09, 2010

Prod. 2006 - Dumbo (XVII)

6465
Seq. 15.1 "Lullaby Sequence"
Directed by Bill Roberts and John/Jack Elliotte, assistant director Earl Bench, layout Al Zinnen.
This 1st draft dated 2/28/41.

Animation by Bill Tytla (Dumbo & Mrs. Jumbo's trunk), Fred Moore (Timothy) and assorted animals by Bob Youngquist, Harvey Toombs, Ed Aardal and ... Sewell? My first guess is that this is John Sewall, not Hazel Sewell (Lillian Disney's sister and head of Ink & Paint) - but what do I know...

Effects by George Rowley, Cornett Wood, Dan MacManus, John Reed and Miles Pike. Sticklers for detail are now in droves putting up their hands eager to tell me that Cornett Wood's Social Security Number was one above John Reed's...yeah, right!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Zartok-35 says...

I figured Harvey Toombs would turn up here, following suit with the "Stork Sequence", but I now know that Bob Youngquist was there as well. Note how they use a variety of 'Limited animation' to show the animals sleeping; they're half painted and half animated.

Bill Tytla's animation in this sequence is considered to be some of his greatest, especially on Wikipedia:
"Dumbo, climbing onto his mother's trunk shows a slight apprehension as she begins to swing him gently back and forth. He relaxes, yet his sadness over the temporary nature of this maternal solace always there. When they finally must part, the slow reluctant pull of Dumbo's trunk away from his mother's is heartbreaking."

I forgot to mention yesterday that Tytla did indeed work on Bill Roberts productions after the fact, like on "Reason and Emotion" with Milt Kahl and Ollie Johnston.

Shot 11 was probably one of Freddy's drunk scenes.

I assume Bill, Zinnen, and Bernie Wolf will return for the next installment.

Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 11:44:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous John V. says...

There's a *lot* of Bill Tytla on this feature, isn't there? His masterpiece.

I expected Sam Armstrong to have directed this sequence.

I read that the "sleeping animals" were animated by an uncredited Eric Larson, and I was skeptical, as I assumed he's be busy working on "Bambi". I guess it was just an urban legend, but, who knows, maybe he was supervising Toombs and Youngquist's animation.

"Shot 11 was probably one of Freddy's drunk scenes." - Zarty

I could tell that Timothy was animated by Fred Moore here, he reminds me of Mickey in those Riley Thomson shorts known as the "drunk Mickeys".

Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 4:48:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Zartok-35 says...

My point exactally. Fred Moore animated under the influence many times around this era.

Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 7:24:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Paul Reiter says...

I noticed the same thing that Zartok, made that some parts of the animals are painted and then other parts are animated. It really captures the look that they're sleeping.

There isn't much action or acting in this sequence, it is instead seems to go for simplicity in its movements. Moore's animation in shot 11 also looks mushy too. It's still a great sequence and I would really like to see some of Tytla's drawings for this sequence, the animation is just beautiful.

John, your comment about Larson possibly supervising Toombs reminded me that Toombs animated the giraffes in the "Stork sequence". Notice how the baby's stilted walk and tripping is like Bambi's. I don't think Larson had any involvement with Dumbo (he was a supervising animator in that film and I believe housed in a separate building from the Dumbo animators) but still its a nice thought.

Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 8:26:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Steven Hartley says...

I thought that Eric Larson was doing animation on this sequence, because on Albertopage, he is credited for that sequence, and he is also credited for some uncredited work on the Internet Movie Database. I wonder if he did anything else?

Its a suprise to see Bob Youngquist doing work.

Monday, May 10, 2010 at 1:07:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home