Please note: if an earlier link doesn't work, it may have changed following an update! Check the Category Labels in the side-bar on the right! There you can find animator drafts for sixteen complete Disney features and eighty-six shorts,
as well as Action Analysis Classes and many other vintage animation documents!

Monday, April 18, 2011

Auction (III) - another Technicolor Example

AutogHoundBG-regularAutogHoundBG-enhanced
Here is another example from the upcoming auction, item #485, a nice, colorful background from the 1939 Donald Duck short The Autograph Hound.

Just as yesterday's example (with explanation), the original on the left, the "streched in Photoshop" version on the right. And again, the left version looks fine by itself, but compared to the stretched version it looks rather bleak.

I do need to add that on top of the background there would probably be four levels of cels, subduing the colors even more. Thus is becomes even more evident how much influence the Technicolor process in itself must have had!

A technical aside: in Photoshop's "Levels..." I have not even gone as far as choosing levels of 63 and 192 as one could suspect indicated by Sam Armstrong's lecture, since the whites would be burnt out. Still, with four levels of cels on top, it might start to make sense!

[Sold for $5,150 incl. 'Buyer's Premium...']

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Steven Hartley says...

I took a look at the Auction on the link you sent and it looks very interesting to me. Although, I couldn't get a proper look because I think you have to sign up for an account, and I'd assume that it's American dollars you'd buy. Besides, I'm not that rich.

Those Sam Armstrong lectures on Technicolor look interesting. I believe that when Walt Disney introduced Technicolor on "Flowers and Trees", his brother Roy had a conflict thinking it wouldn't do well - but it ended up being the first cartoon winning an Academy Award.

Monday, April 18, 2011 at 3:33:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Hans Perk says...

Sadly I am 5,600 miles (9.000 Km) from that Armstrong lecture, or it would be up here by now...

Monday, April 18, 2011 at 3:39:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Hans Perk says...

I don't believe you need to register to just download the catalog, do you?

Monday, April 18, 2011 at 3:40:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Steven Hartley says...

I wasn't sure because the front page showed a "Sleeping Beauty" piece of artwork and I thought that the way to see more artwork was by starting to bid - and I wasn't going to buy so I didn't click on it.

Either that, or I need to dig into more of the site.

Monday, April 18, 2011 at 3:46:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home