Please note: if an earlier link doesn't work, it may have changed following an update! Check the Category Labels in the side-bar on the right! There you can find animator drafts for sixteen complete Disney features and eighty-six shorts,
as well as Action Analysis Classes and many other vintage animation documents!

Monday, May 02, 2011

Prod. 2063 - Cinderella (III)  - Seq. 01.2 - Introduction (part 1)

34567
89101112
First part of the introduction, directed by Jaxon, laid out by Mac Stewart. Assistant director Mike Holoboff, secretary "Toby" Tobelman. This final draft dated 9/26/49.

Animation: birds by Don Lusk, Cindy by Eric Larson, Marc Davis and Les Clark, mice by Hal King, Phil Duncan and Ward Kimball, effects by George Rowley and Ed Aardal.

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" is doubtlessly one of the standards of the Disney opus, a fine song my Mack David, Al Hoffman and Jerry Livingston. Cindy is here animated by Eric Larson, the birds by Don Lusk and the mice by Hal King. A classic that I even hear our CG animators hum once in a while - out of the blue.

The other half of this sequence follows tomorrow...

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Steven Hartley says...

Thank you for this Hans.

This is all marvellous. The birds here are mainly by Don Lusk and Eric Larson was known to have animated the birds here - but he does one shot, that I see.

This is all very interesting, I had no idea that Hal King worked on the mice. Although, I had assumed he worked on the step sisters, but the mice is more fitting to his work.

Les Clark's scenes of Cinderella walking down the stairs is fitting to his work. It seems that Ed Aardal handles the shots of Cinderella's hands with Larson controlling them. Don't forget, that Ed Aardal wasn't an effects animator by that point, he was later a character animator.

Somehow, Aardal's hands here remind me of what appeared on "Johnny Appleseed".

Monday, May 2, 2011 at 6:19:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Zartok-35 says...

Wow, Eric, Marc, AND Lester all at once! Eric is clearly the dominant artist atr this point, though. I knew Les Clark would do Cindy with the others!

Interesting mice by Phil Duncan. I didn't think we'd see him away from Ham Luske, but I'm ready for anything. His mice are very reminiscent of Woolie Rietherman.

While Ed Aardal was animating several Goofy cartoons in 1949, I don't know if this could be classified as character animation or not; His animation here seems to be of seems to be of clothes Cinderella produces from the drawer. I don't know where that fits in the spectrum, but I have reason to believe Ed animates mice later in the picture.

Monday, May 2, 2011 at 9:27:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Hans Perk says...

Lots more mice by Phil Duncan coming up!

I bet Les heard his name as Lester often - but it was Leslie James Clark. And Woolie Reitherman, with 'ei', and not, like here.
How much I would 'like' this page, and the initiative, I cannot get myself to press 'like' on a name spelled wrong...

Monday, May 2, 2011 at 9:46:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Steven Hartley says...

Phil Duncan was later a Directing Animator on Martin Rosen's animated production of "Watership Down".

Monday, May 2, 2011 at 9:53:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Zartok-35 says...

Oh my, what silly mistakes! Thanks for correcting me, Mr Perk.

Monday, May 2, 2011 at 5:47:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Hans Perk says...

;-)

Thanks for commenting!

Monday, May 2, 2011 at 5:54:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home