Please note: if an earlier link doesn't work, it may have changed following an update! Check the Category Labels in the side-bar on the right! There you can find animator drafts for sixteen complete Disney features and eighty-six shorts,
as well as Action Analysis Classes and many other vintage animation documents!

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Auction (VII) - Kay Nielsen

NielsenNielsen(Item #427)
Another famous illustrator of children's books who made inspirational works for the Disney studio was, of course, Danish Kay Nielsen.
I have previously written about him (first here, then here and here), announcing a new book about him, which has since been delayed and delayed. I can see it is now scheduled for October 2011. Over four years late...

I admit I like the above Fantasia storyboards for the Night on Bald Mountain sequence more than the horseman concept for that same sequence:
Nielsen(Item #428)
but opinions may differ on that point. All are worthy of a loving home, which I am sure the upcoming auction will provide them.
[But no: none of Nielsen's works sold!]

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Steven Hartley says...

Very gothic stuff here. Neilsen is a good illustrator - I wanted to do some still life work by Tenggren or Neilsen, and my art teacher thought that their designs wouldn't be appropriate.

I forgot that they didn't really do still life images - as they were illustrators.

Saturday, April 23, 2011 at 10:42:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous David says...

My very good friend and fellow researcher and collector Dennis Books owns ten Kay Nielsen originals...from Fantasia, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Cinderella. Some were executed in pastel, others in watercolor. Just absolutely gorgeous stuff and I never tire of seeing that art in person. The finite detail Nielsen was able to create, especially when working in pastel, is amazing to me.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 at 1:45:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Hans Perk says...

Hi David - I know what you mean! I (co-)own a lovely pastel from Sleeping Beauty, and I, too am amazed at his detail in this often somewhat, well, crude medium.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 at 2:16:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home