Please note: if an earlier link doesn't work, it may have changed following an update! Check the Category Labels in the side-bar on the right! There you can find animator drafts for sixteen complete Disney features and eighty-six shorts,
as well as Action Analysis Classes and many other vintage animation documents!

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Prod. US34 - Three Little Wolves

I thought it nice to end the year with a bang, albeit a little one. Originally prod. S32, the number of Three Little Wolves was changed to US34 to let Broken Toys have a Christmas release. If you find S32 here, it was what was on the bar sheet and the draft.

Directed by Dave Hand, assistant director Jack Cutting, story by Bill Cottrell, Joe Grant and Bob Kuwahara (Feb. 1934-May 1935 - Outline 4/10/1934). Music by Frank Churchill. Layout by Ferdinand Huszti Horvath, backgrounds by Mique Nelson and animation by Norm Ferguson, Fred Moore, Eric Larson and Bill Roberts.
It premiered in front of Chaplin's Modern Times at the Dallas Majestic, 4/18/1936, and can now be found on Disney Treasures: Silly Symphonies (2001). It was the first Disney picture held over for a second program at Radio City Music Hall. (Thank you, Russell Merrit and J B Kaufman!)

Three Little Wolves is timed in a classical "start slow, speed up, fast climax, slower ending" pacing, as you can see by this timeline:

I really hope this stuff is studied, as I feel it is just as important to know how this works now, as it was when the films were made...

Check the timing on this annotated film:


Again, for good measure, the draft, from 1/13/1936.
12345
6789
Well, I'm 45 today. To everyone a Happy New Year, from myself, and from everyone at A. Film in Denmark, Estonia, Latvia and Germany!

[Addition 03/31/2015: I removed it from YouTube because they find it infringes the song "R3tric-Black Is Night", sound recording administered by: Believe Music. Go figure. YouTube should fix their automatic recognizer instead of threatening strikes.]

Labels: , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Thad says...

Thanks for sharing the meat and bones of this one, Hans! This is one of the very best and most underrated Disney cartoons.

I was told Grim Natwick did animation on this film, but I guess they were wrong.

Oh and happy birthday!

THAD

Sunday, December 31, 2006 at 11:56:00 AM PST  
Anonymous FantasiaMan says...

Happy Birthday & a Happy New Year to you, Hans!

This is one of my favorite Silly Symphonies!

I can tell Eric Larson was probably still an assistant at the time, because he usually did all the debris animation for Fred Moore & Ham Luske.

I like Bill Roberts' animation. He always was given the zany action scenes, particularly ones with Goofy.

Fred Moore's animation is so great, the greatest compliment couldn't possibly give it justice! Fred always seems to get the best scenes in any picture he's assigned to. He can make the simplest movement so appealing & beautiful that it's beyond extraordinary.

Sunday, December 31, 2006 at 6:59:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Hans Perk says...

Thanks, Thad and fantasiaman! Let's hope that the new year brings new revelations!

--Hans

Monday, January 1, 2007 at 11:20:00 AM PST  
Anonymous David N says...

"Well, I'm 45 today. To everyone a Happy New Year, from myself, and from everyone at A. Film in Denmark, Estonia, Latvia and Germany!"

I'm behind in my blog reading , but now I'm catching up , so belated Happy Birthday wishes and Happy New Year !

You and I share a birthday , Hans, though not the same year (close). I'm Dec. 31, 1962.

Thursday, January 4, 2007 at 10:21:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Hans Perk says...

In that case a belated Happy Birthday to you, too, David!

Friday, January 5, 2007 at 12:57:00 AM PST  
Anonymous SparkyMK3 says...

AUGH! That metronome could drive someone bonkers with they listened to it long enough!

That said, thats very nice of you to give a shorthand for what a 12X beat is, which the bulk of the film runs on, with a very brief use of 14x beat, and 8x beat. I'll have to take notes of this!

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 at 12:39:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

Hi there! I'm currently writing my doctoral thesis on animation and am talking about the anti-German elements in this cartoon. I was just wondering where you got your information on the production background for this short. Getting specific information on the production timescales for Disney shorts is notoriously difficult!! Many thanks!

Saturday, January 12, 2013 at 3:57:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Mark says...

Hi Hans,

How did you work out the tempos for this short? Did you break down the music track or do you have the bar sheets? I'd be very interested to know. Many thanks, Mark.

Friday, January 20, 2023 at 6:11:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Mark says...

Hi Hans, did you work out the tempo based on breaking down the music, or do you have access to the barsheets? Many thanks, Mark.

Friday, January 20, 2023 at 6:12:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Mark says...

Hi Hans, I'd love to have a chat with you sometime about timing animation this way. I'm a traditional animator with over 35 yrs experience and now doing a PhD in musical timing methods in animated cartoons. I've found a few things which I'd be happy to share with you.
Kindest regards,
Mark.

Sunday, March 26, 2023 at 7:22:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Hans Perk says...

Mark, finally got to look at comments again. Please contact me on my name (firstlast) at gmail com. I have bar sheets for this short and a few others. Also, there will be an extensive chapter on bar sheets and the job of the director in the new book, out hopefully next year, by Pete Docter and Don Peri on the Disney directors, using examples from my collection.

Monday, June 26, 2023 at 5:14:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home