Please note: if an earlier link doesn't work, it may have changed following an update! Check the Category Labels in the side-bar on the right! There you can find animator drafts for sixteen complete Disney features and eighty-six shorts,
as well as Action Analysis Classes and many other vintage animation documents!

Monday, April 19, 2010

Prod. 2006 - Dumbo (I)

010203
Seq. 01.0 "Stork Sequence"
Directed by Sam Armstrong, assistant director Lloyd Richardson, layout Bob Cormack. This 2nd draft probably dated 2/26/41.
The first page says 5/26, the next pages 2/26.

Effects animation by Josh Meador, Miles Pike, Jack Gayek, Cy Young, Karl Van Leuven, George Rowley and Dan McManus.
"Additional character" animation by Harvey Toombs and Ed Aardal, with Mrs. Jumbo by Bill Tytla and Bill Shull.

Sam Armstrong was background painter to begin with, having created wonderful masterpieces for The Old Mill and, of course, Snow White. He also sequence-directed on Fantasia before his work on Dumbo, and on Bambi. Later he did layouts for Warner, but I have no idea why he left the studio around 41 - as he seems to not have been one of the strikers. One of the people we need to learn more about.

The Supervising Director of Dumbo was Ben Sharpsteen, who also is credited for the final sequence. One can, of course, find a lot of additional info on IMDb, as well, e.g. on the writers...

(If you feel I am posting this too slowly - well... Too bad ;-)

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Jeff Overturf says...

Slow is jest fine when the work you're doing is so important.

You can't yell at a bottle of milk to make the cream rise faster!

Monday, April 19, 2010 at 10:16:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Zartok-35 says...

Wonderful! You're off to a fine start.

I always wondered if Sharpsteen did any real work on the movie, and I'm not too surprised he finished it off. I couldn't trace that sequence to anyone else.

Monday, April 19, 2010 at 12:05:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Steven Hartley says...

I think the best animation of the sequence has to be Cy Young's storks (John V, I think Karl Van Leuven did the rain effects, its just a guess), I mean I think those scenes are gorgeous and colorful, and well animated, its a shame that Cy Young is an uncredited animator, what did he do after Disney?

Friday, April 30, 2010 at 1:43:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Steven Hartley says...

Sorry, my mistake, Cy Young wasn't an uncredited animator, I know that we received screen-credit (he deserved it)and what I meant was that he doesn't receive enough recognition like some of the other animators like Bill Tytla, Ward Kimball, Art Babbitt, etc.

Saturday, May 1, 2010 at 10:47:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous John V. says...

I don't see any rain effects in scene 19 which credits Van Leuven -- in fact, I think the rain is just credited to "Spec. Efx" rather than to a specific animator.

However, looking at the Clair de Lune credits again, I see that Robert Cormack and "Van Luven" are credited with "layout" and the top billed animator is Cy Young -- so it looks like Young probably did animate the storks, as well as the bundles/parachutes.

Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 8:03:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home