Please note: if an earlier link doesn't work, it may have changed following an update! Check the Category Labels in the side-bar on the right! There you can find animator drafts for sixteen complete Disney features and eighty-six shorts,
as well as Action Analysis Classes and many other vintage animation documents!

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Prod. 2006 is Coming Up!

Hi Friends! It's been too long!

I have been drenched in work, and the history of the place I am working in is in itself REALLY interesting! On the other hand, I cannot stand not being in touch with my good Disney friends, and I feel a severe need to share some more stuff. This time I will show you Prod. 2006 - Dumbo. This is the sequence listing, typed on labels and stuck onto the inside of the folder containing the draft:

00

I certainly hope someone will make mosaics of this, as well, though I must warn you in advance that there are scenes missing animator assignments. This production seems to have been made so quickly, that once the last scenes were handed out, there would be no new drafts made up. This seems quite logical, considering my "Standard Disclaimer:"

"Animation drafts were never meant to be historical documents. They were meant as go-to documents, showing the responsible artist for a certain scene, who might be able to help in case there would be any need for this further on in the production line. Therefore we often see e.g. that animators who left have been replaced by others, often their assistants, in later versions of a draft. Also for this reason it is most often the actual animator, not the supervising animator, who is mentioned. The drafts may also be directly inaccurate - showing early assignments where the animator actually changed when the scene was finally handed out. Keeping all this in mind, though, the drafts can give us some sort of hands-on insight into the inner workings of the production of some of the most "magical" (in itself an over-used word) motion pictures of all time." the annotations on this copy were made in 1964 when the Background Morgue (where this copy is from) was keeping track of its inventory.

I hope you will forgive me my absence, and that you will enjoy the draft which I will show here in the following days!

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous John V. says...

Wow, I'm looking forward to this! As I'm sure I've said before, the really early feature drafts are of particular interest to me. And given that there are only 18 character animators credited on Dumbo, I'm sure many of the names will come as a complete surprise!

I'd make a mosaic, but I've tried in the past and I wasn't able to... probably need software that I'm not rich or successful enough to have. Or maybe I'm just not doing it right. I should ask an expert...

Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 3:53:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Oswald Iten says...

This is great! I'm not really sure how this will fit into my schedule but I volunteer to make a mosaic (unless Mark Mayerson would want to do it himself). I was wondering about who did certain shots when I looked at the new anniversary edition.

Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 4:12:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Mark Mayerson says...

Hello folks. The busiest part of my day job is about to end in a couple of weeks and I was planning on doing a mosaic over the summer.

Oswald, if you want to do Dumbo, go ahead. I was thinking of doing The Sword in the Stone. However, if you want to leave Dumbo to me, I will be happy to do it.

Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 5:56:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Paul Reiter says...

Hans, I'm glad your back and posting.

I'm looking forward this draft because "Dumbo" is to me the best of the Disney features, so I'm really curious about how do what.

I will not be posting often until the after the first week of May, though. I've got exams that take a higher priority over my love of animation and its history.

Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 7:28:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Oswald Iten says...

Mark, in that case I leave "Dumbo" to you. Already looking forward to your comments.
If I'm not mistaken no one has done a mosaic of "Alice in Wonderland" yet even though these drafts have been around for some time now. I would do that instead over the summer.

Monday, April 19, 2010 at 1:35:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Zartok-35 says...

Glad t osee you're still on line, Mr. Perk.

I await the drafts, and am looking forwad to this very much! I've always wondered what scenes Wilfred Jackson directed on this.

Monday, April 19, 2010 at 9:50:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous John V. says...

Going from experience I would guess that Jackson animated the sequences with extensive Bill Tytla animation... but given that Bill Tytla animated the *main character* of this feature, who knows?

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 at 2:31:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Steven Hartley says...

I think I was the person who's been requesting over and over again, for the Dumbo draft, and I've been begging, and now, Hans is now in the works, and its got me in the happy mood, why when I found that out, I almost fell out off my chair in suprisement!

Mark, I'm looking forward to see more mosaics for "The Sword in the Stone", I've noticed that in the draft, many of the layouts in the sequences are only credited to Don Griffith and Basil Davidovich, while there are other layout artists in the credits which are Vance Gerry, Sylvia Cobb, Homer Jonas, etc. either did the layouts, but are only credited to Basil or Don, anyway looking forward to the mosaic, and if the "Dumbo" mosaic is in the development, I'll be looking forward to watching it. =-)

Saturday, April 24, 2010 at 3:52:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Steven Hartley says...

What I mean is, Hans, is that, I'm not going to be bothering anyone, by repeating myself over and over and over saying, "Will you ever post the 'Dumbo' draft, or I wish it will be posted", and now you're working on it, I can just wait until your next posts...

Saturday, April 24, 2010 at 10:29:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home