Please note: if an earlier link doesn't work, it may have changed following an update! Check the Category Labels in the side-bar on the right! There you can find animator drafts for sixteen complete Disney features and eighty-six shorts,
as well as Action Analysis Classes and many other vintage animation documents!

Monday, June 21, 2010

Prod. 2061 - Melody Time (V)  - 2056 - Pecos Bill

26272829303132
33343536373839
Directed by Gerry Geronimi, assistant director Ted Sebern, layout by Lance Nolley & John Hench. This FINAL draft is from 12/12/47.

One of the most "classical" segments of the film, it was animated by Marvin Woodward, John Sibley, Ken O'Brien, Ward Kimball, Cliff Nordberg and Milt Kahl with one scene by John Lounsbery. Effects by Josh Meador, Ed Aardal and George Rowley.

Kimball and Kahl are the obvious stars of this segment, and they handle most of Pecos and Sue, with some action scenes by Sibley and Nordberg. Some late scene adjustments seem to have been made around the end, combining some scenes and removing others. I find that some of the multiplane shots in this segment are among the nicest ones altogether, because they are subtle and simple, yet atmospheric.

Though this is the closing segment of the film, it is in the middle of the draft because in here the segments are ordered by their production number. I have added a "real running order" to my first posting for this film.

I finally took some time to see the film again last night, and I enjoyed it a lot - wish I had watched it earlier.

The DVD is, of course, the No Smoking version. Thus, scene 54 was not in my DVD. I did notice another shot, a CU just before Pecos tries to rescue Sue (Sc. 131?) where it seems a bit with Bill fixing a cigarette was removed. Is this in my imagination? Or is this again due to destructive PC-ness?

Honestly: I have been a heavy smoker once, myself, and I quit some 15 years ago, the best thing I ever did. But NEVER in my youth would I even think of beginning to smoke after seeing a cartoon character do so. If you want to protect children, there is a slew of other things you could do, like, say, get guns of the streets, have proper health care for the poorest etc. etc., but I really do not want to get into a political discussion here...! Suffice to say I think an updated "grown-up" version is needed of this and all the other censored Disney films. How about a box set with all disclaimers? You can include Song of the South! At least then we can enjoy the films as Walt Disney made them, which is the only way I would WANT to see them!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Zartok-35 says...

This is my favorite Disney production of them all, and I liek lots of them. It all comes togeether perfectly, beautiful women and comic antics included. Thank you so much for putting THIS up for me to see, I appreciate it more than the others, which I also appreciate, but this is my FAVORTIE!

Some uch for me to LEARN! For the longest time I had Kimball, Ken O'brien and Sibley all mixed up with eachother! Lounsbery fits in nicely with the roster. Les Clark and Harvey Toombs animate shot 6.

Thanks again!

Monday, June 21, 2010 at 9:41:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous PaulBunyan says...

The June 1, 1946 issue of Boxoffice Magazine stated that Disney had sent Lance Nolley to his home state of Texas to do "sketches of typical Texans for the new Disney cartoon Pecos Bill soon to go into production"

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 at 12:50:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Zartok-35 says...

You didn't know that Clyde directed it, and that Ward and Sibley animated...

Is it really THAT obscure?!?

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 at 3:31:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous JC says...

Aren't there storyboard sketches of Pecos Bill?, I wish to watch the storyboards.

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 11:35:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Hans Perk says...

You and me both, JC.
Off-hand I cannot recollect seeing any.
Maybe there are one or two to accompany the song "You Rounded up my Heart (in Love's Corral)" in the Russell Schroeder's great book Disney's Lost Chords (vol.1) but I cannot check this right now...

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 11:48:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home