Please note: if an earlier link doesn't work, it may have changed following an update! Check the Category Labels in the side-bar on the right! There you can find animator drafts for sixteen complete Disney features and eighty-six shorts,
as well as Action Analysis Classes and many other vintage animation documents!

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Prod. 2521 - The Small One (I)  - Section 1 - Waking up of Small One

03040506
07080910
All draft pages are FINAL and have the same date: 10/9/1978 - a month and a half after my first visit to the Disney studio. Except for sequence number and title, all other info is identical, as well: Directed by Don Bluth, assisted by Rick Rich, layout by Dan Hansen with secretary C. Rogers.

In this segment/section/sequence we find animation by Randy Cartwright, Gary Goldman, John Pomeroy, Bill Hajee and Don Bluth.
I can't help but feel that we are looking at a work-in-progress: animators learning their craft...

Again: I would be more than happy to hear from anyone who worked on the film...

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Steven Hartley says...

Scene 9.1 is funny when his droopy ear falls down, beautifully animated by John Pomroy and I think I heard that name somewhere?

Friday, July 2, 2010 at 2:40:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Hans Perk says...

You had better, Steven! When later generations (late 80s, early 90s) learned how to draw and animate (outside od the Disney studios), there were two names strewn about as the genius draftsmen of the medium: Milt Kahl and John Pomeroy.

I may be wrong, but I think the haze of later years' production from Don Bluth's productions have sort of gotten John off that short-list again. It was definitely widely known that the best animation in the Secret of Nimb was John's. There was a certain awe among my colleagues here in Denmark who worked directly with him in Ireland, during the relatively short time he was there. I am glad I was able to tell him so last year at an Academy screening.

I believe John currently resides on the US east coast and paints civil war images - his hobby, it seems - he made a very nice painting for the Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln show in Disneyland just last year!

Friday, July 2, 2010 at 2:58:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Steven Hartley says...

Oh, its just that I'm so used to knowing animators from the Golden Age or around Walt's time, and I know some from around that period (1970's-1980's)

Friday, July 2, 2010 at 3:01:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home