Please note: if an earlier link doesn't work, it may have changed following an update! Check the Category Labels in the side-bar on the right! There you can find animator drafts for sixteen complete Disney features and eighty-six shorts,
as well as Action Analysis Classes and many other vintage animation documents!

Monday, December 19, 2011

Prod. 2011 - The Fabulous Mr. Toad (XVII)  - Seq. 19.6 - Ending  - Seq. 03.0 Sec.B

ToadToadToad
Seq. 19.6 - Directed by Jack Kinney, layout by Al Zinnen. Animation by Harvey Toombs, Clair Weeks, Henry Tanous and Jack Boyd.

Seq. 03.0 Sec "B" - Directed by Special Process (Ub Iwerks' dept.), layout by John Hench. This sequence ends the Toad draft, which continues into the (separate) Ichabod draft.

These Final draft pages are dated 5/12/49.

This is the end of this film. Remember what I wrote about the historical value of these documents in my "Standard Disclaimer!"
Still, they give a great insight into the film. I wish they started to make a separately super-imposable subtitle track for the DVD and Blu-Ray editions. I guess that the Powers That Be do not see any financial benefit in it, but I should also never say never...

Back soon with more interesting stuff!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Steven Hartley says...

Thanks Hans, this has been an interesting ride, and I've certainly learned a lot. As I usually say it when a draft is finished, looking forward to future postings...

Monday, December 19, 2011 at 2:09:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Zartok-35 says...

Thanks alot Hans, very informative as always! I now have a new appreciation for Harvey Toombs.
Good luck on your Miffy show, and enjoy the christmas season!

Monday, December 19, 2011 at 6:47:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Rodney Baker says...

Thanks Hans. As much as I wish you didn't have to post that standard disclaimer I'm glad you do. I tend read these drafts as gospel and yet know I shouldn't.

I'm fascinated by the X'ing out on that last page for the Special Processes. I'm not sure why yet but I am!

More great stuff coming up? You know I'm looking forward to it!

Thursday, December 22, 2011 at 12:34:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Rodney Baker says...

Added: I do see your note about how this ending transfers over to the Ichabod drafts.

Thanks for that note!

Thursday, December 22, 2011 at 12:37:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Rob M says...

Thanks for posting these interesting drafts.
I'm quite surprised to find how little James Algar did in the film.
Have a nice Christmas.

Thursday, December 22, 2011 at 12:18:00 PM PST  
Anonymous John V. says...

So most of the film was directed by Jack Kinney... might explain why he only directed one segment of "Melody Time." I wonder if Luske, Jackson and (for most of the time) Geronimi were doing preliminary work on "Cinderella"?

There's very little Milt Kahl or Ward Kimball here, but they may have supervised sequences which they didn't animate any scenes of.

I'm surprised about James Algar as well... the draft for his sequence includes an earlier designation for one of the other sequences, so I wonder if he was in charge of some other sequences which were discarded (before or after animation). Algar's sequence is also the only one to feature Snow White-esque rhyming speech - I wonder if this was a feature of some of the discarded sequences as well.

Thursday, December 22, 2011 at 3:08:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Joe says...

Regarding "the powers that be"...
If they would see it as yet another way for us to purchase the shows again -- even on a yet to be invented format -- I'm sure they would jump at the chance!

Monday, January 9, 2012 at 4:08:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Hans Perk says...

Oh, I bet, Joe! But I doubt if they would even consider the (really moderate) expenditure of draft credits on a subtitle track. (Heck, I bet there would be those around here that would deliver a text file for their use with time codes and names for free, reading this blog!)

Remember how they dropped the specially prepared Special Features off of the Happiest Millionaire DVD, because, even after having paid many thousands to the production houses, they decided that the audience "wouldn't pay extra for that anyways, so why bother..."

Monday, January 9, 2012 at 7:22:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home