Please note: if an earlier link doesn't work, it may have changed following an update! Check the Category Labels in the side-bar on the right! There you can find animator drafts for sixteen complete Disney features and eighty-six shorts,
as well as Action Analysis Classes and many other vintage animation documents!

Friday, August 20, 2010

Prod. 2519 - The Rescuers (IX)  - Seq. 005 - Albatros Air Service - Part 2

074075076077078079
080081082083084085
Continued...

This part has a bunch of scenes marked "out," but I remember them very well, as they were in the second part of the great Thames TV program of the late 70s about Walt Disney's history and studios. (This show needs to be reissued! It has great footage of interviews with Frank, Ollie and (especially) Milt, Ken Anderson, Woolie etc., and showed the studio during the making of The Rescuers!) Again, a classic!

Great character animation by Ollie - with flying albatross by Bob McCrea and a bit of effects by Ted Kierscey.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Steven Hartley says...

I like those Albatross animation in the film - it just has HUGE wings, even in real life, also Ted Kierscy did good effects in the film, and isn't Dorse A. Lanpher coming up!

Because Dorse sent me a message about his involvement in 'The Small One' and said he and Ted Kierscy did the effects of course and I said that there isn't a lot of effects animation in the film, and his reply was that he did the effects so well that I was probably kept up with the environmental of the story, which it should be!!

Friday, August 20, 2010 at 9:41:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Hans Perk says...

Well, Steven, then you have had more feedback than I have had!

Friday, August 20, 2010 at 10:36:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Zartok-35 says...

This part of the film puts Oliver & Company to shame, and makes it look really bad.

There is a lot of controversy regarding shot 88, and some of the background details included in certain prints of the film.

I didn't think Woolie Reitherman could pull of a travelogue with this kind of cinematography. Much of this sequence is not like him at all.

I love what Ollie did with Bernard's hands in shot 124. Wonderful stuff! Shot 94 is very good as well.

Friday, August 20, 2010 at 11:54:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Sandro Cleuzo says...

Hey Hans,

I would love to know more about the Thames special about the Disney studio during the making of Rescuers and see the interviews.
There must be a way to get footage of this special.

I never seen it while I was at Disney. Do you suppose they might have it in the archives?

thanks for posting this draft, it is really great to see who did what.

Best.

Sandro

Monday, August 23, 2010 at 5:27:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Hans Perk says...

Hi Sandro!

How funny: I was just visited by another animator from Sao Paolo, our very own Danish friend Rune Brandt Bennicke - who did the end credit drawings for our Asterix film, that I see you also worked on. Here's where we sing "It's a Small World After All..."

As to the Thames TV footage, I have not seen it anywhere else, which is a shame, as they were great programs, my favorites for many years! Right now I do not even know myself where I have them - which is rather awful! Lemme go look...

--Hans

Monday, August 23, 2010 at 10:17:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home