Please note: if an earlier link doesn't work, it may have changed following an update! Check the Category Labels in the side-bar on the right! There you can find animator drafts for sixteen complete Disney features and eighty-six shorts,
as well as Action Analysis Classes and many other vintage animation documents!

Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Prod. 2063 - Cinderella (V)  - Seq. 01.4 - Mice Decoy Cat

22232425262728
Directed by Jaxon, laid out by Mac Stewart. Assistant director Mike Holoboff, secretary "Toby" Tobelman.
This final draft dated 10/10/49.

Much of this is Ward Kimball's sequence, with (rather surprisingly) a few scenes by Fred Moore. The animation is credited thus: Cindy by Eric Larson (her hands by Ed Aardal). Lucifer the Cat by Fergie, Hugh Fraser, Phil Duncan and Ward Kimball. Mice by John Lounsbery, Hugh Fraser, Fred Moore and Ward Kimball. Chickens by Don Lusk.

And now you know the names of the other mice! We not only have Gus and Jaq, but also Luke, Mert and Burt.

[Quick note: I may not be able to moderate new comments until some time Friday.]

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous John V. says...

The ommitted scenes 39-45 probably explain what happened to Lucifer's milk dish!

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 at 10:04:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Zartok-35 says...

Instead of Cliff Nordberg, I am now aware that the animator is actually John Lounsbery, taking one of his rare turns with Jaxon.

At last, we finally come to the "Nowwee choose-a wunna do it" business, which I've been really looking forward to. Sure enough, like the meteorologists I mocked, I was wrong with my Reitherman oriented predictions. It's all Kimball animation! And I was none the wiser. Overall, I do find it to be quite uncharacteristic of Kimball, with the pointy detailed hairs, and particularly solid forms. I could swear I was watching the March Hare lusting over Dinah at the mad tea party. I have been, as the king would say, a 'Pompous Windbag', and I apologize. I never have this problem with Warner cartoons.

I echo your sentiments about Fred Moore. Most unusual....

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 at 12:23:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Steven Hartley says...

I suspected Woolie Reitherman animating the mice here with the tails but only Kimball.

I assume that Woolie comes in much later with the "key to the door and up the stairs" scenes.

Thursday, May 5, 2011 at 6:18:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous John V. says...

Didn't expect to see Lounsbery on the mice. On Lucifer, yes, and the King and Duke. Maybe we will later on.

Zartok - I did seem to remember Jaq looked very "March Hare"-like in this sequence, but it's been so long since I saw the film I thought I'd keep quiet - and, like you, I inferred that this meant he was animated by Cliff Nordberg.

We probably will see Woolie on the mice later on... probably the scenes where they carry the key upstairs!

Thursday, May 5, 2011 at 11:42:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Zartok-35 says...

I was, however, quite able to determine that Hugh Fraser animated Gus facing off with the Chickens.
In shot 67.1, there is a distinct 'Eye smear' used, that can also be seen in the period Goofy cartoon "Cold War".

Thursday, May 5, 2011 at 1:41:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Steven Hartley says...

The chickens is obviously Hugh Fraser - it sort of has the ostrich from Saludos Amigos in it.

Friday, May 6, 2011 at 8:31:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home