Please note: if an earlier link doesn't work, it may have changed following an update! Check the Category Labels in the side-bar on the right! There you can find animator drafts for sixteen complete Disney features and eighty-six shorts,
as well as Action Analysis Classes and many other vintage animation documents!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Prod. 2063 - Cinderella (XI)  - Seq. 2.4 - Dress Building

6566676869
7071727374
7576777879
More music, thus again directed by Jaxon, laid out by Mac Stewart. Assistant director Mike Holoboff, secretary "Toby" Tobelman.
This final draft dated 10/5/49.

Mice and birds: Hugh Fraser, John Lounsbery, George Nicholas,
   Don Lusk and Fred Moore
Cindy: Marc Davis and Les Clark
Stepmother's shadow: Harvey Toombs
Stepsisters' shadows: Judge Whitaker
Lucifer: John Lounsbery and Charles Nichols

This is, of course, the second part of the most famous bit of this film. I always enjoyed scene 231 where the girl mouse threads the needle by sticking her whole arm through it. Another wonderful Fred Moore scene.

Yesterday's YouTube clip includes the second part of this sequence. The first part is often removed in compilation edits, obviously with the feeling that the exposition is uninteresting, keeping only the fun with the mice building the dress.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Zartok-35 says...

At last, we come to that classic bit where the cat has to crawl in the sleeve! And it's animated by...Charles Nichols?! I didn't see that coming at all. I wonder if/how an assignment like this would affect his directing duties?

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 10:46:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Paul Reiter says...

I lot of small scenes seem to been cut out, between 37 and 100, I wonder what was there. I admit I've also gotten a new respect for Lounsbery. I knew he animated in this sequence where Gus and Jaq outwit Lucifer but I didn't think he would do nearly all of it. I would probably say that this and 2.3 are my favorite sequences in the whole film (with maybe the exception of the seq. 1.4 and 1.5).
So, thanks for this Hans. With school done for me, I'm hoping to be able to comment more.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 4:26:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Steven Hartley says...

John Lounsbery gets the big chunk of animating the mice and the cat here. Very solid work here.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 10:43:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Rob M says...

Charles Nichols animating Lucifer is quite a surprise. At first, I thought it could be a wrong spelling for "(George) Nicholas", but Nicholas' name is spelled properly when he animates the mice and birds.

Hans, thank for this draft. I don't comment very much, but I follow your blog with great interest.

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 8:48:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home