Please note: if an earlier link doesn't work, it may have changed following an update! Check the Category Labels in the side-bar on the right! There you can find animator drafts for sixteen complete Disney features and eighty-six shorts,
as well as Action Analysis Classes and many other vintage animation documents!

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Marc Davis Pirates

0102← Click to enlarge!
I admit it freely: it took me a while to warm up to Disneyland when I first visited it in 1978. There was a disconnect between Walt the Animated Film Producer - and the park. Only after walking into the original Disneyana Shop did I find my reason to love the park.
I didn't know at that time that I had met the love of my life. But enough about me...

Originally I wanted to call this posting "My Collection Vindicated." If you read through the breathtaking catalog of the upcoming auction "The Story of Disneyland" organized by the Van Eaton Galleries, and you realize that the glut of items came from one man downsizing his collection... Well, it made me feel better about my stuff.

One of the items is above painting by Marc Davis for the attraction "Pirates of the Caribbean," item 496. The "Bride Auction" onlookers are now themselves being auctioned. The estimate on this one is $40,000-50,000! It was featured in the preview and post-opening guidebooks for both Disneyland and Walt Disney World. When have you last seen a similarly iconic painting for sale? (It's the one on the left. I also added the image of Marc painting that's in the catalog).

If you have any feelings for the park, I advise you to take a peek at the catalog. It is for sale as a "real" book, as well - and even the soft cover is quite a voluminous tome! If you want to bid on anything, better register as bidder quickly: the auction is on Saturday and Sunday in this weekend and the online bidding has begun!

[Update: sold - for $60,000 plus tax & premium]

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home