Please note: if an earlier link doesn't work, it may have changed following an update! Check the Category Labels in the side-bar on the right! There you can find animator drafts for sixteen complete Disney features and eighty-six shorts,
as well as Action Analysis Classes and many other vintage animation documents!

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Ollie Johnston again

Here is another of the drawings Ollie gave me in 1984.
Pennie is still in the Devil's Eye cave.
Pennie Working on Skull< Click on it!
Note how Ollie indicates shapes, then highlights parts of the outlines - the straights opposite the curves. The appealing simplicity reveals a draftsmanship that many younger artists hope to achieve in their lifetime - so let's all hope they will be able to, as hand-drawn animation makes its come-back...

Tomorrow will be the last post in a while, with Annecy coming. I promise I'll make it interesting - animation history as craft activity! Say - anyone coming to Annecy? See our site for more A. Film info on Annecy - and the three films we have down there..

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Jenny Lerew says...

With the weather here in Los Angeles well over 100F, I wish to god I was at Annecy this year!

Ah, well...thanks for the Penny drawing post; I really began to think seriously about animation based on seeing this film on its release and these drawings(later, or course, in Illusion of Life). They haven't lost one whit of appeal for me. Beautiful, and of course so simple, too. Deceptively so!
Thanks so much for your continued comments and terrific, crucial information you post on my blog entries; I took the opportunity of asking you lots more questions in response to your last remarks about "Arline"--see? You can't escape, once you bother to help people! ; )
Seriously--have a great time at Annecy and I look forward to your reports! Please say hi to any Dreamworkers there, as well.

Sunday, June 4, 2006 at 1:39:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous the spectre says...

This isn't exactly on-topic but I reckoned this was the best place to post it... for some reason I've always been more interested in identifying the animators of Pinocchio than of any other Disney feature... any chance you could post some break-down sheets for that film?

Sunday, June 4, 2006 at 2:06:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home