Please note: if an earlier link doesn't work, it may have changed following an update! Check the Category Labels in the side-bar on the right! There you can find animator drafts for sixteen complete Disney features and eighty-six shorts,
as well as Action Analysis Classes and many other vintage animation documents!

Monday, May 29, 2006

A memory of Frank Thomas

Frank's work has always had a huge influence on me. With it he has touched most people on this earth. It was a wonderful privilege to count him among my friends. When Frank and Ollie gave their lecture in Holland in 1984, they - with Jeanette and Marie - lived in my parents' house some days. When he knocked on my bedroom door in his night shirt to ask a question, it dawned on me that this giant was just a man. And I respected him even more.

One of those days, he gave me an envelope with a stack of his roughs from Rescuers. This is one of the drawings...
Chairman Mouse< Click on it!
This pompous character is voiced by Bernard Fox, known as the equally pompous Dr. Bombay on "Bewitched."

Oh, and Bo, thanks for your kind words. Won't you believe it, I actually pulled this image three hours before I found your blog!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Zimpleton says...

Thank you Hans.

This makes me so happy!!
Finally an animation blog with real information about animation.

When I saw your comment on Jenny´s blog ( www.blackwingdiaries.blogspot.com ) some time ago it made me so excited because I thought there might be a chance of you starting a blog of your own and now it´s here.
Already packed with information unavaliable anywhere else and fare better than what I could have dreamt of. Absolutely perfect!

So thank you Hans and good luck in LA.

Bo

By the way.
The Frank Thomas drawing is just as beautiful as I remember it. All personality and no fussing about graphics or complicated design stuff. One look at this drawing and you know exactly what this character is all about and how he is going to behave.

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 12:12:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home